Nowhere To Go  

Posted by Navin in , , ,

The long wait has not yet ended for me. The results for admissions to IIM Bangalore have come out and I have been Waitlisted for admissions with WaitList No : 48 . I do not know whether this is something which I should rejoice or be dejected about, for my next 1 year is still a mystery to me . My results are such that when told to someone they do not know what would be the right thing to say . It is very evident to me that most of you are stuck without knowing what my chances are and whether this result is good or bad. Frankly , even I have absolutely no idea as to what I should expect based on such a result. To help you interpret my chances here are a few facts:

Fact 1 : I am amongst the last 5 candidates to be shortlisted by IIM B in the General Category (52 is the total number )

Fact 2 : This Waitlist no does not indicate that 47 people not taking up their seat would result in me getting admission. The admission panel is smart, they have already given 23 buffer offers from whatever I know and this would mean at least 70 people turning down their seats for me to stand a chance of making it .

Fact 3 : Last year , the Waitlist moved till 46, with a probably lesser number of buffer calls and a lesser number of seats. This might indicate that my chances are better and I hope they are .

Besides the above facts remain the choices that people make . The growing popularity of IIM Calcutta and its outstanding finance expertise is also going to be a factor which will influence my results .

Today, I know that there is an extremely high probability that I would either be amongst the last candidates to make into the institution or be amongst the first ones to miss it . The latter will be a very difficult fact to digest, rejection is simpler to face , but knowing that probably not guessing one answer in the verbal section might have resulted in me making it will haunt me . Whatever the result, I still have hope to hang onto for at least the next 1 month or so and at the end of it I will be a different person.

P.S:

1. The Killer - I will be getting an admission letter from IIM Bangalore, I hope it turns out to be more than just a souvenir .
2. Congratulations to everyone who has cleared the final hurdle and heading to the best B Schools in the country to spend the next 2 years.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 comments

Now that's what I call a nailbiting finish. ALl the best!

April 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Thank You and nailbiting eh , but trust me it is not entertaining :) . I hope it turns out like the T20 finals where Misbah made a major mess of it with us rejoicing at the end despite Joginder's complete lack of cricketing skills.

April 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Till then - song recommendation for you: Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve

Trust you to get yourself into a crazy-ass situation like this :)

April 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM

"Crazy-ass situation" !! You think I am enjoying this ? Absolutely not :D . Yes, I shall try the song you recommend .

April 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Hang in there bro.

But if it went up till 46 last time, thats good. All the best.

April 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Thank You, Let us hope this year it moves even farther .

April 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM

the funda of guess estimates by the instis is something that baffles me... apparently they are ready to take that extra 23 on board just to avoid people saying their waitlist cleared till a higher number...

keep yer fingers crossed bro, hope u make it

April 13, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Whatever the funda , I hope those 23 and preferrably more vanish into thin air (or maybe A and C or get teleported abroad) and all 52 (/81) of us hanging in limbo make it to the place. And just to let you know, it is possible only to have 8 pairs of fingers crossed at any instant of time :)

April 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM

you wouldn't know me, but I can tell you from experience that do not attach many strings to a system that doesn't have fixed rules. Its too difficult to circumvent such a system, and the more you attach with it, the more it will hurt. :)

April 15, 2009 at 12:35 AM

@CodeSmith Cipher :

I do know you, at least from your post in Pagalguy :) . Hope is something that I will be hanging on to till all the doors shut on me . As for complaining about the system, it was this very system that gave me my lone call , so I am at a fix here.

Also, from your reply, I understand the results were not on expected lines ? Was it for better or worse ?

April 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Post a Comment