Workaholism  

Posted by Navin in ,

I have been working for nearly a month now and am forced to reflect on what Srihari predicted around a year back that I will turn out to be a workaholic once I start working . Sadly, I have realised that he might be correct. Maybe it has something to do with the excitment of my first "job" or the experience of being in an alien city with nothing else to do , the truth remains that all I have been doing since I reached Hyderabad is work.

Despite the fact that I have been enjoying my work and have been singing it's praises to most people I know , I am surprised at the energy levels with which I turn up for work everyday morning. I am enjoying the work, but am I really supposed to be ? I am yet to use any of my permitted "off" days and am always thinking about the work that might be affected if I dont turn up ( working in a firm of 5 members, it really matters if 20 % of the workforce is off on a day ) . I am more than happy to stay back late to ensure that work is completed or take part in brainstorming sessions till 8, even though it takes me nearly 1 hour to travel home in a cramped bus in the usually "chaotic" Cyberabad traffic.

Over the past 1 month, my only "hangout" spot has been from the R.T.C bus footboards and the only places I have visited in Hyderabad besides my office are the ones where I have accompanied my boss Arun Balakrishnan on his bike on "official business" . Saturday afternoon's are reserved for team lunches at our office and when a plan had to be put off , I ended up sitting alone in a family restaurant with absolutely no-one to call for company .Believe me when I say that Hyderabadi restaurants are totally paisa vasool for heavy eaters , but a complete loss for a BITSian like me whose appetites have been destroyed by the messes - one Hyderabadi Biriyani is meant for a family, not for a person , try how much you may you can never finish it alone.

All this to me looks like symptoms of the disease " Workaholism" and I have seriously decided to fight this chronic disease ( as a first step, I am using official internet for non - official purposes :D ) . I am hoping that the enthusiasm does not last forever and does not repeat with my future endeavours at employment.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Nice mokkai about the hangout. But invariably, in metros, you first start talking about hangouts, to be followed by hangovers later ;)

Alone in a family restaurant? It's high time you found some company to start a family then :D

PS: Thanks for the publicity ;)

June 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

@ Kutts : Yes, I would definitely love to find some company , sadly probability remains very bleak since I am also a member of FUB ( Copyrights to Psyche ) . As hangovers go, since the first part is not happening,it is not possible for me to jump a step in the process :P . Yes, publicity, you are always welcome :D

June 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Is this my life you are talking about? I had the exact same thoughts.
It must be Hyderabad's effect.

June 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Great, the disease is contagious ! Looks like both of us are taking work too seriously with our interns being our first shots at this . I guess ,we should start learning soon.

June 19, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Post a Comment