Home and Away  

Posted by Navin in

Returning to my hostel room after spending the semester vacations has finally made me to come up with a new post on my blog. At the end of every semester I am eager to get back home , to the place where my heart is , where my friends are and where I like to spend my time. But am I really heading back to " home" , the same place that I left before joining college ?

Every time I get back home, I am surprised by the number of changes that have taken place . I know many friends who left from one home, which had changed through the span of time that they had spent here and had to go to a new home. Of course getting back to your parents and staying with them is something each one of us will look forward to. But the change in the other terms is simply drastic. I find myself out of place. I am no longer a part of the regular schedule of some of my old friends. I have nothing much to speak about to people whom I used to speak endlessly a few years back. School get-togethers no longer attract any response. I ended up spending most of the last holidays alone at home , with nothing much to do but read books ( which I frankly do enjoy a lot, but did not want to spend my entire vacations doing that ).Everybody seems to have moved on a lot , I seem to be a bit slow at the same thing.

On the contrary, my hostel room - the place that I leave to reach "home" seems to be much more of a comfortable place in many terms . I am used to most of things around here. Friends are around, there are things to be done and life seems to be much more interesting here. Irrespective of great amount of cribbing that most of us do about the acads, mess food and what not, we do end up living here for nearly 8 out of 12 months in a year for 4 years and we get used to the place.

It is again bound to shift once we move on to the next step in our life- career or education or whatever maybe our plans . It is just a taste of what we are going to face soon ," home" will keep changing , likes and dislikes will keep changing, friends will keep changing and we too will keep changing. Although Life will move on , without any change .

This entry was posted on Monday, January 7, 2008 at 8:42 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Well said!

January 8, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Brought tears to my eyes. Googling BITS Pilani experiences brought me to this site. I am parent of a simple kid, who is about to join engineering, and one of the proabables is BITS Pilani. I hope that atleast he doesn't feels about the changes you said at home. I don't know. But in reality it is a very painful process.

June 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Post a Comment