A Beginning or The End ?  

Posted by Navin in , ,


The following post was written as a "Psenti article" for The Fine Print, the newsletter published on BITS Pilani campus by the English Press Club, ,my last one as a member of the club.

The ceremonies have begun, indications have been given that it is the time for me to leave. I am at the wrong end of treats, eager to take snaps and making sure that I collect any pending debts for there is not going to be the dreaded journey through those badly laid roads for one more time. Over the last few months, I have had the belief that I have overstayed my “welcome” on campus. I no longer find familiar faces when I step out, get to know about the happenings on campus as soon as I used to or even find company for the long trip to sky from my hostel. With absolutely nothing to keep me occupied, one thing I have wondered about all the time is whether I will be accepted anywhere outside Pilani. I doubt that the habits and nature that I have grown used to over the past 3 years are considered regular and normal in the social setup outside these walls. Despite this, I do not feel sad, nostalgic or “psenti” about this place. I do not have any regrets or “things to do” before I leave. I do not know whether these were really the best days of my life, for I believe that I have a lot more to see. I do not know whether I would laugh over incidents on campus many years down the line. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that every moment I spent on campus will be etched in my memories, but it would not be a lie if I say that there are many moments and a large number of smiling faces which I will cherish as a memory of my time in Pilani. I have also realized that there is a distinct possibility that I might not be seeing many of these faces again and I hope that I encounter the same faces sometime in the near future outside of this environment . We all knew the day we stepped in that we had to leave, the 4 years on campus was expected to be just a preparation for more “exciting” things we expect out of life. I would prefer to walk out happily, thinking about all the time I spent here and the people I have got to know, than grieving over the fact that I am leaving and I might not be missed by anyone at all.


This entry was posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

People are what make a place worth it - always. A return trip to Pilani almost makes me feel like a guest in my own home. But then again, with half your batch missing, I guess the time is just right to move on to bigger, brighter things. And if you think that the best years of college life are behind you, mark my words - you're so wrong! :)

December 2, 2008 at 6:59 PM

This semester has just been a huge signboard with an "Exit" on it for me . Most People I know are either busy studying or in PS or as things stand today, packed and left for home. As for better years of college life waiting ahead for me, I hope your words are true .

December 2, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Hmm :) For us, it's not so much senti yet. It will all start in April with farewell parties and hostel nights. And I've found campus life so relaxing and so much fun that I'm happy I'm going to another campus for the next 4-6 years. But, IITM is something I'll definitely miss because I'm so used to it now and it has sort of grown onto me. When it comes to friends, of course we knew it the day we stepped in that it's a four-year journey. I'm more sad than anything that I won't be able to meet these guys whenever I want to. Cornell better be worth it!

February 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM

The place where we spent 4 years of our life would definitely grown into us. But, the fact remains that we move ahead in search of things that will shape our future :).Getting senti, of course you will , the fact that there are so many friends and you are not really sure when the next meeting is going to be ! Cornell is going to be something which will act as a cheering tonic for you I guess :D

February 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Post a Comment